I saw this and wondered if somebody stuck their gum on there. But no, it’s slime mold! This is the young stage. As it ages, it becomes purplish and then brown and repulsive when mature. Inedible. (As if!) Slime molds don’t penetrate into the wood to draw nutrition. They are more like amoebas which move around on the surface of the wood engulfing bits of organic matter.
Red Raspberry Slime (Tubifera ferruginosa)
This slime & the dodder remind me how little I really know about the natural world. thank you for the eye opener! (What you wrote about sound pollution was very special too. I really appreciate what you doing here … Congrats!)
thanks! there is a lot to learn, isn’t there?